Have your say
The ACL is carrying out its regular survey of members’ views on the state of the market and other key issues. If you did not fill it out at last week’s London conference, we would be grateful if you could spend five minutes doing it online here.
Call for new Council members
Following the recent decision by the ACL Council to increase the number of council members, there are now two vacancies that need to be filled. Full members have been invited to nominate themselves for election. Forms were sent out by email earlier this week and nominations must be received (by post or email) by no later than 4pm on Thursday 27 June. For any queries, emails email@example.com.
Costs judges’ salaries on the up
The salary of the Senior Costs Judge has increased from £137,538 to £140,289 under new pay scales that came into force on 1 April. Costs masters’ pay has risen from £110,335 to £112,542.
LAA updates guidance to avoid returned claims
The Legal Aid Agency has published the updated CCMS Advanced Guide to help avoid civil claims being returned to organisations to provide further information. It highlighted common reasons for applications being returned:
– 38% of civil claim rejects are for claims submitted without a disbursement voucher;
– 11% of all civil claims are returned for further information on expert’s fees;
– Over half of returned claims are where no travel details have been provided;
– Experts must provide a breakdown of the work done and the hourly rate claimed. Where an expert is paid an hourly rate, submitting a claim for a lump sum cannot be accepted; and
– Where only submitting the minimum evidence, this should be justified with a note. This could be, for example, full evidence not available due to the case being historic.